Wednesday 26 February 2014

dreaming allowed

Probably the best perk of being a teacher is all the lovely trips you get to go on. Over the years I have been to France and Spain many times, of course, but also Germany, and loads of different places around the UK. I love a day out and often volunteer - well, who wouldn't? Beats sitting behind a desk.
 I loved making candles at the Jewish museum, having a lecture on perspective in Canaletto's paintings at the National Gallery, seeing amazing mosaics at Fishbourne, and of course watching plays. A couple of weeks ago I got to see the lovely Jude Law on stage for example. Nice!
Today I was allowed a bit of respite from the gruelling routine (it's hard going back after a week of farniente with baby) and spent the day at the museum. Amongst other things, the fashion gallery at the V&A really caught my eye, especially since I am reading Marie-Antoinette's biography at the moment. On display were some 18th century dresses and shoes, and they reminded me of that other book of mine on the fabulous work of Rose Bertin (I must have a look at it again soon!)

More inspiration came from the lovely floor mosaics in the corridors - they made me think of potential patterns for quilts. Speaking of which, I was surprised to see some limited-edition fabric for sale in the shop. I purchased some years ago when they had their quilt exhibition, but they still had some of the old pattern ones and a couple of new ones. I refrained from buying any - goodness knows how. Maybe the bulging stash I have at home is just begging to be used up a bit before being replaced. Maybe. Food for thought!


1 comment :

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...