Monday 29 September 2014

a shirt


At the start of the summer I went on a course with a couple of colleagues to learn how to make a shirt. We were still hype from our in-house Sewing Bee competition, and decided a shirt would be an appropriate challenge to set ourselves.
In the end it was quite difficult I guess, especially dealing with the collar. That said, things always go smoother with the help of a professional, girly chat and a nice cuppa.
The course was spread into two sessions of three hours each, and although we didn't really have a break, none of the shirts were finished in time. I remember coming home that night and thinking: "right, I'll finish this at the weekend and wear it straight away". But...well, the world cup was on at the time (not that I'm an avid watcher but there was the odd match I might have seen)...and then Baby got chicken pox when the holiday started, and then...and then.
A couple of weeks ago I thought it was really high time to finish the shirt (it only needed the sleeves attaching and the buttonholes) and got the job done in just an hour. Verdict? I'm loving wearing it and might just try and make another one if I can remember the intricate collar business enough.

Au début de l'été j'ai fait un stage avec deux de mes collègues pour apprendre à faire un chemisier. On était toutes enjouées après notre compet' decouture du mois précédent, et on s'est dit qu'un chemisier serait un bon défi à notre niveau.
En fin de compte c'était assez difficile, surtout le col. Cela dit, tout va toujours mieux quand on a l'aide d'une professionnelle, des ragots à se raconter et une bonne tasse de thé.
Le stage était en deux fois trois heures, et bien qu'on n'ait pas arrêté, aucun des chemisiers n'a été fini a temps. Je me souviens être rentrée à la maison et m'être dit " bon, je le finis ce weekend et je le porterai la semaine prochaine". Mais voilà...ben, y'avait la coupe du monde à l'époque (pas que je sois fan, mais j'ai quand même jeté un oeil de temps à autre)...et puis Bébé a eu la varicelle dès que les vacances ont commencé, et puis...et puis...
Il y a une quinzaine je me suis dit qu'il serait franchement temps de finir ce chemisier (il ne restait plus que les manches à attacher et les boutonnières à faire) et je l'ai fini en une heure. Verdicte? j'adore le porter et vais peut-être même me lancer et en faire un autre si je me rappelle tous les détails sur le fameux col.

1 comment :

  1. I am amazed you made a shirt! It seems pretty nice. Well done!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...